Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Keep Her Close

Proverbs 7

If we want to keep her (Adulteress, i.e. sexual sin) far away, we must keep her (wisdom; i.e. the Lord and His Word) close. Solomon repeatedly urges his son to value, lay hold of and apply wisdom in life. Wisdom is be close to you, ready for immediate use. "Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck" (6:21). "Keep my words and store up my commands within you" (7:1). "Guard my teachings as the apple of your eye" (7:2). Apple is a metaphor for the center or pupil of the eye. We closely protect our eyes with a blink of the eyelids and a quick reflex system. Without wisdom, we live in darkness, spiritually blind. Wisdom should be ever before us, guiding us, directing our steps, at our finger tips, on our heart (7:3). The instruction of wisdom should be near and dear to us, like a close relative (7:4).


Remember, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. To lay hold of wisdom is to lay hold of the Lord. So, I ask myself, "What is the state of my relationship with God? Do I hold him and his Word near to my heart? Is he bound to me like a near relative? Are his words piling up in my heart, ready to flow out as needed? Do I guard my time and pursuit of him with the same vigilance that I give to protecting my eyes? Is Christ and his Word my most valued treasure? Or, am I pursuing other things with greater zeal? Is my walk with Christ up and down, far and near, cold then hot? Is my relationship with him bound tight to my heart and fastened around my neck? Or, do I put him on only when it's convenient? When I'm not busy? When I'm not involved in my favorite sport, recreation, hobby or other interests? When the season is right? Or only when I'm doing my small group?"


Am I close to her (wisdom)? I can't be close to her unless I'm close to Him.

No comments: